What Books I'll Be Reading This Summer

I have mentioned on this blog before that whilst I do enjoy reading, I can find it difficult to read at home without getting distracted. So when I am on holiday, there are lots of things I cannot do without Wi-Fi so I can get through lots of books. I always try to read at least two books when I am on holiday to at least try and make up for my atrocious lack of reading throughout the year - and when I say this, I am talking about novels, I do read the newspaper, two monthly magazines and blog posts. I am not that terrible I promise! This summer I am taking three books on my two holidays. They are both only 1 week family trips so I think three should be enough.as we might not be going to the beach every day.
1984 by George Orwell
Winston Smith works for the Ministry of Truth in London, chief city of Airstrip One. Big Brother stares out from every poster, the Thought Police uncover every act of betrayal. When Winston finds love with Julia, he discovers that life does not have to be dull and deadening, and awakens to new possibilities. Despite the police helicopters that hover and circle overhead, Winston and Julia begin to question the party; they are drawn towards conspiracy. Yet Big Brother will not tolerate dissent - even om the mind. For those with original thoughts they invented Room 101.
Besides beauty and fashion, history is one of my biggest interests (it is what my university degree is in) and the Soviet Union was one of the areas that I found most interesting. I read Animal Farm many years ago and really enjoyed making the connections so I hope that I can do the same with 1984. If you were not aware, Big Brother the show is inspired by the Big Brother from this book. I have tried to read this several times but hopefully this time I will be able to finish it!

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The Republic of Gilead offers Offred only one option: to breed. If she deviates, she will, like all dissenters, to be hanged at the wall or sent out to die slowly of radiation sickness. But even a repressive state cannot obliterate desire - neither Offred's nor that of the two men on which her future hangs. 
I've been watching the TV adaption with Elisabeth Moss on Channel 4 and it is a very interesting programme to say the least! When I heard that it was based on a book, I really wanted to read it. It has a similar background to 1984 in the sense of a place controlled by a higher power so it will be interesting to see how Orwell and Atwood create these worlds. 

The Underground Railroad
Cora is a slave on a cotton plantation in Georgia. All the slaves lead a hellish existence, but Cora has it worse than most; an outcast even among her fellow Africans, she is approaching womanhood, where ti is clear even greater pains awaits. When Caesar, a slave recently arrived from Virginia, tells her about the Underground Railroad, they take the perilous decision to escape to the North. 
One of my favourite YouTubers Jessie from sunbeamjess has started a book club and this was one of the books from a few months ago. Unfortunately I did not get around to properly starting it so hopefully now I can finally get it finished! Although I did study slavery in high school, I still don't know very much about slavery in America so I will be interested to read this to learn more about what things happened.

So these are the books that I want to read this summer! It would be great if I am able to read any more books but I am definitely making sure I get through these three! What books are you going to read this summer? Also if you have read any of these, please let me know what you thought - preferably with no spoilers!

Ellyn xx


Check out my last post here!
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. The Handmaid's Tale is so good! Maybe a bit gloomy for a holiday read but great nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig